Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Objectivism in Boromir's Words

It seems my personal tirade against Objectivism is becoming more and more pronounced, but trust me when I say that this is nothing personal. I am merely flexing my rusty philosophical muscles to address the problems I find in the philosophy books that I read. It's just that most of these problems are found in Objectivism.

I'd like to say a few more words, but Boromir from Lord of the Rings summed everything up quite nicely for me.

Addressing the way Objectivists essentially 
establish their ethics on the phrase "man is man."

Refuting the notion that Ayn Rand resolved David
Hume's dilemma. Treating life as a standard of value 
from which you can derive oughts isn't being objective; on 
the contrary, it's still subjectivist thinking.

This is to question Ayn Rand's ethics of ethical egoism. Philosopher
G.E. Moore in his Principia Ethica described the contradiction of ethical egoism.
"What egoism holds, therefore, is that each man's happiness is the sole good - 
that a number of different things are each of them the only good 
thing there is - an absolute contradiction!"

This is to summarize my previous article, "Life and Value in Objectivism"
where Ayn Rand and the Objectivists may have committed the fallacy
of equivocation in relating life to value.

Finally, we have this:

This is to summarize my sentiments regarding the Objectivists'
contempt of a priori knowledge, when they themselves are 
guilty of applying it.

Of course I'm nowhere near covering the entirety of Ayn Rand's works, which contend the Bible in terms of utter thickness. So I guess people can expect more philosophical memes in the future. In the meantime, I intend to temporarily abstain from posting more anti-Objectivist logic, lest I risk accusations of being too monotonous. I might come up with an economics article or two. Stay tuned, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment